Forestry is a low-risk, stable investment over the medium to long-term.
Biological growth, timber prices and land values are the three main investment drivers. Biological growth provides a stable platform for capital growth. The growth of trees can be optimised by using improved genetic stock when establishing and ensuring, through thinning, that the volume of higher value timber (sawlogs) is produced. Timber prices are strong, despite the global economic chill.
This strength is based on an ever-increasing demand for timber, wood products and woodfuel. Timber harvesting can be managed to coincide with peaking timber prices. At Border Consultants, we are experienced in forestry investment analysis and financial projections.
Reasons to invest:
- steady tax-free income from timber sales
- increases in timber value are free from capital gains tax
- after two years’ ownership, the value of commercial timber is excluded from inheritance tax
- capital appreciation and development
- amenity and sport
- carbon sequestration
- create and enhance valuable habitat